Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Absolutely Mad for "Mad Men"


I had been meaning to watch this show for some time now. It's been on for one season on AMC--the 2nd season starts on July 27th. I was thinking about renting it, since it's on DVD. And then my boyfriend pointed out that it's on HD OnDemand (channel 1900 on Oceanic Digital Cable) for free. Great, I thought, I'll check it out, see if I like it. I sat down last night to watch the first episode, and 5 episodes later, I'm hooked. I love the period aspect of the show--it takes place in New York in 1960--as well as the fact that it's focused around the employees of an ad agency--my first job in New York was at an advertising agency. The world of "Mad Men" is a world of chain-smoking, Scotch-swilling, male chauvinism, and racism--sounds hideous yet is actually riveting. The New York Times Sunday Magazine did a cover story on the show, and now I see why. If you can, catch up before Season 2 begins in a couple of weeks.

No comments: